Robopocalypse

Discussion in 'Books' started by Lowco2525, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Lowco2525

Lowco2525 Administrator Staff Member Moderator WebSub Twitch Sub

So I recently started rereading one of my favorite books, Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson.

It is similar to the movie "I, Robot" if you've seen that, but much better. It chronicles artificial intelligence attempting to take over the world with a collection of different stories that help put pieces of the puzzle together to explain not only how it happened, but also just different events and incidents that occurred because of it.

If you've read the book World War Z, the style is very similar to that. (NOT to be compared with the movie)

It's really interesting and has a lot of action in it as well. There is a sequel that I actually haven't read yet, so that's why I'm rereading this.

2. AndreBauscher

AndreBauscher Confused

Alright, let's do this. Gonna be a slow read though since it's the first time I try to read a full novel in English. :D

robo.JPG

TastyTofuSoup and Lowco2525 like this.
  3. I'm not a great reader but I will have to give this book a try! :)

4. unlimitedjt

unlimitedjt Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ok so I read this book and it was pretty good. Lowco nailed the description of the book. It's defiantly similar to I robot but better. While I think the book is good I personally was a little disappointed with the ending. But if their is a sequel then maybe it will clear some things up for me. Overall the book is awesome and I highly recommend it!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    TastyTofuSoup likes this.
  5. DegoBear

DegoBear Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I read this as one of many on my Vacation. :p All in all a good book, nothing outstanding but a solid book. I loved the style of telling the story, keeps you involved in the novel. I have to gripes with the book though. As unlimitedjt said, the ending left a little to be desired. Also, I felt a lack of a connection to the characters (apart from during one part, those who have read the book will know the part). I think that comes down to there being so many characters and the fact there was plenty of information on why they were there, not so much as to who they were.

Well worth reading though!

unlimitedjt likes this.
  6. unlimitedjt

unlimitedjt Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yea I agree Dego that the style of story telling is good and I think is creative. The issue I had with the ending is for the final part of the book their were some characters that were left out, by that I mean characters like Mathilda who had an impact for the story but she didn't have a specific chapter dedicated to her for the final part. I also kinda wish that they explained more about her and her power, and also explained what happened to some of the characters after the war ended. That's just how I feel and maybe the sequel will explain these things.

Philou : Unlimitedjt I edited your post slightly to avoid spoilers. I don't intend to read the book but I think some of the infos your are sharing are bordeline if someone who wants to read it stumble across it. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2015
    AndreBauscher likes this.
  7. CozyBeard

CozyBeard Lurker

I read The Martian and Robopocalypse after Lowco's recommandation and I liked them both but Robopocalypse is the clear "winner" of the two.
    The Martian has ALOT of technical/scientific stuff in it and I'm just not that into those things, if you are I bet you'll find it really interesting.
    I agree with Unlimited and DegoBear about the gripes but I just love "end of the world"-stories so Robopocalypse was an awesome read for me.

More of these recommandations please! :) and thanks for that Lowco.

Jackarl, Lowco2525 and AndreBauscher like this.
  8. AndreBauscher

AndreBauscher Confused

So after a few more reading sessions at work I was finally able to finish the book. All in all I don't regret the decision to try it out even though I'm usually not that big of a fan when it comes to sci fi. Also I basically agree with all that has been written here before. To prevent the feeling, that the ending didn't really offer a closure I'm going to jump into the sequel "Robogenisis" as soon as possible.

I'll go now into some details so beware the spoilers below.

The parts I liked the most about the book were the twists, when Wilson described what the robs do with the humans after Zero hour. On the same page I was disappointed that the final fight did not happen between "transhumans" and humans. Though from the strategical point of view the way it played out in the book might make more sense.

The start was a bit slow in my oppinion. Maybe he shouldn't have done the whole timejump thing at the beginning.
    I think I had the first deep emotional reaction with this book during the chapter "Super-Toys". From there on it was a really decent read.

Sidenote: Since this was my first full english novel I read, some of you might find it interesting that it was actually pretty easy to read. I think I didn't spend as much time looking words up as I first thought and also technical terms are quite understandable in the context or don't matter that much anyway.

CozyBeard likes this.
  9. R0B0C0P_

R0B0C0P_ Fresh Meat

As a fellow Robo, I must read this.