PC build help!

Discussion in 'PC Spec Talk' started by unlimitedjt, Jun 24, 2015.

1. unlimitedjt

unlimitedjt Moderator Staff Member Moderator

hi everyone, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a PC build for me, I've always been a console gamer so I'm new to PC gaming. I'm asking for help mainly because of my inexperience in PC gaming and because I hardly have any knowledge about PC hardware and specs. My budget is 1500 but I am willing to spend a little more. I would like to use the PC mainly for gaming and for potentially streaming. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. Tworan

Tworan Lurker

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/K8DYCJ
    it's 1800, but you could delete the screen and other peripherals if you don't need them. If you do need them you could change your graphics card to 970, 980 or even an amd one. You should also ask someone else it could be that my build is a bit rubbish. I would also recommend this site for you to get some help http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcforme/

unlimitedjt likes this.
  3. unlimitedjt

Thank you tworan! I'm new to PC gaming so any suggestion is greatly appreciated!

4. unlimitedjt

Now for a processor should I spend the extra money and buy an i7 or save a little money and buy an i5?

5. Philou0217

Philou0217 Confused

My knowledge is not very good either so if someone wants to correct me I've got no problem with that. When I built my PC I was wondering between an i7 or i5 too and my friend adviced me to go with the i5. i5 and i7 are really not far apart from each other and often have the same GHz. i7 from what I've heard is more if you want to overclock and run multiples programs at once. If it's for gaming only I think an i5 would be perfect (in the better i5 though) but if you want to stream eventually you better take the extra bucks for an i7.

unlimitedjt likes this.
  6. Tworan

Tworan Lurker

I agree with what philou said.
    It all comes down on what you plan to do. If you're only gaming then go for the i5. i7 if you plan to do content creation/editing and a fair amount of multitasking.
    The video explains what the difference is:

7. unlimitedjt

Ok thank you guys! I'm thinking I'll get the i5 to start with, while I do want to try and stream at some point I'll use the i5 and see if I even like streaming and if I even have the time to stream due to work. I figure if I find myself liking to stream and having a lot of time to do it then I'll probably upgrade to the i7. Btw you guys defiantly know more about this stuff than me! lol

8. Quiet50ul

Quiet50ul Fresh Meat

9. bats4JM

bats4JM Fresh Meat

10. chrisdash

chrisdash Lurker

I really like the build Tworan linked but would go for an i7 4790K if you plan to stream. Especially if you don't know how to overclock an i5 to the same frequency. The i7 4790K is so fast out of the box that overclocking isn't really necessary or useful. One potential problem with Tworan's build could the 7200rpm hard disk; it might be one of those models with a lot of vibrations and noise. Not sure.
    The GTX 980 Ti is a beast! 10/10 would buy! :)
    If you feel the urge to spend more, faster RAM could be a way to do that, but the performance improvements are... not great.

Regarding the EVGA G2 850 Watt Gold, I feel that power supply is a little oversized for the hardware. And the GTX 970 is weaksauce considering your hefty budget and a bit on the weak side for providing 144fps to get the max out of the 144Hz screen. Also not sure if the $200 Asus Hero is useful for someone who wants a simple, no-hassle, no-overclock PC. The Corsair K70 on the other hand is a really nice, mechanical keyboard.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    Tworan likes this.
  11. Jackarl

Jackarl Confused

@unlimitedjt
    What Tworan and Philou said. If you're going to just use it for games most of the time then an i5 will do fine. Clock speed is what matters the most in games. i7 is worth it for the extra threads if you plan on streaming and do similar things.

12. unlimitedjt

13. excessnet

excessnet Lurker

It's exactly what I will get. I got the GTX570 Twin Frozr for year without any problems.

14. Jackarl

Jackarl Confused

MSI is a good brand, so shouldn't be any problems.