As a web developer I'm curious to who created lowco2525.com

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ocolot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Ocolot

Ocolot Lurker

Hello, I'm new here so this will be my first thread here.

I will talk about code here, so if you don't care at all about that then take this as a "warning" :p But I'll try to keep it light.
    I don't know if there is any other programmers here that follow lowco, but as a web/system developer myself I'm always very curious to look at the HTML and CSS code for other websites.
    It's fun to see how other developers have created their websites. Especially since I'm a junior developer and still have a lot to learn. So by seeing how those(probably senior) developers have done it I can maybe see some best practise things and what not.
    So with chromes developer tool(F12) I can see the HTML and CSS code for that website. It is possible to see some other things, but javascript is always minified so that it quite hard to read. A little bit too much info there but whatever^^

So obviously I got quite curious to see the code for lowco2525.com(let's all agree that the homepage and this forum stands out a bit from other websites :), nothing bad with that though)
    But when I took a look at the code for the main site I could only sit there with my mouth open and thinking "What the actual f*ck??".
    So much duplicated CSS code there and even code that wasn't doing anything. This all made me wonder, who made that website? Does anyone know?
    Was it a friend of lowco or was it perhaps a follower? Will he/she read this thread perhaps.

It kinda looked that whoever made that site just puked up that css code or just didn't care xD It gave me quite the good laugh though, and I came to the conclusion that whoever it is, he or she was a self taught programmer.
    You may have seen the "Follow me on Twitter" section on the homepage. Yeah I think that is supposed to be a link to twitter like the stream link further up. But it's just a text with a "change color hover" on it :p
    There are more things that I wont bring up since it would make this thread a bit too technical.

It also looks like there was different persons who made the forum and the main site.

Don't take me wrong and thinking I'm here to bash on that programmer saying "Damn that dude sucks!". I'm not, just like with everything else it takes time to learn something new. I'm still learning programming and probably will for as long as I work as one.
    But as I said, I'm genuinely curious who created it.

If you've come this far I gotta thank you for reading :)

2. excessnet

excessnet Lurker

Well... website is a Word-Press theme and forum is XenForo. So that kind of problem are going to appear since there's no validation between module to "clean-up" the code and CSS.

3. Ocolot

Ocolot Lurker

Yeah that actually makes sense. Just didn't realize they where so messy.

4. Moffdawwwg

Moffdawwwg Administrator Staff Member Moderator

This is the problem with these cut and paste web development tools that are out there now, in order to allow for the "user-friendly" functionality they have they cut corners and allow duplicate code

5. Ocolot

Ocolot Lurker

And I guess there is no way of manually modifying the code? Since someone would have taken it upon himself to do it I guess?

6. excessnet

excessnet Lurker

Yes you can, but you will create a chance of having problems when upgrading and all...

If you want a clean and optimised code, you won't use something like Wordpress and dev the site from almost*-scratch.

* Using framework, like NodeJS or Angular to save you some time! :)

7. Moffdawwwg

If you want clean and optimised code use notepad :D

8. Ocolot

Ocolot Lurker

@excessnet I guess so, I code with Angular pretty much every at work so I know it's good :)

@Moffdawwwg I sense sarcasm :p

You guys seem to be programmers aswell(at least have some interest in it), have you done what I did? Looking at the code that is.

9. Moffdawwwg

It's not sarcasm at all :p The last website i made for someone was in notepad XD, granted it was a couple of years ago!

10. Ocolot

Ocolot Lurker

Well holy crap you are brave if it was standard notepad and not notepad++ :p Personally I use Visual Studio so :)

11. excessnet

excessnet Lurker

It work on Notepad, just harder to see stuff... like line number when you have an error. Notepad++ is already a big jump, but I personally use SublimeText 3.

I'm an Network/System Administrator, but I also do programming and others stuff.

And to answer the question no; I rarelly look at the code, cause you can't see most of the stuff anyway... for example, if I code "<? echo date(); ?>", you will only see the date on the code, so it dosent mean anything (and it's just a simple example to tell).

When I do, it's usually cause there's something I'm searching for... like an hidden page, hacking some post informations, etc...

12. Ocolot

Ocolot Lurker

It works on notepad, but you don't really have a compiler like you have with an IDE.

Yeah well the html and css is easy to see. But the code for all the logic is kinda hopeless :p

excessnet likes this.