[Comics] Reading recommendations

Discussion in 'Books' started by AndreBauscher, Aug 30, 2015.

1. AndreBauscher

AndreBauscher Confused

Some of you might already know that I'm very interested in comics. Not only superhero comics by DC but also some other stuff. So instead of multiple threads, I'll give you now some of my personal reading recommendations. Feel free to add yours below. :)

Superhero Comics by DC (mostly Batman stuff):

- "Batman" literaly everything written by Scott Snyder and art by Greg Capullo (current comic issues)
    I read a lot (though not nearly everything) of the ongoing Batman series but the story arcs by this creative team are simply amazing. Since the DC reboot as "New 52" I really enjoyed what Snyder and Capullo delivered starting with "Court of Owls" over "Endgame" and currently "Superheavy"

- "The Dark Knight Returns" written by Frank Miller, art by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson
    It's probably one of the most iconic Batman stories though I personally needed to get used to the artstyle first.
    An aged Bruce Wayne has to puton the cape again to defend Gotham not only against a mutant gang but also some old threads.
    This graphic novel hasn't only been adapted to the very awesome "The Dark Knight Returns (Part 1+2)" animated movies but is also the inspiration for Zack Snyders upcoming "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" movie.
    "The Dark Knight Returns" is part of a trilogy, followed by "The Dark Knight Strikes Again" which adds some more aged superheroes and an awesome twist, though most of this book is just weird. And also by "The Dark Knight III: Master Race" which will be released this Fall.

- "The Killing Joke" written by Alan Moore, art by Brian Bolland.
    One of the classic Joker centric graphic novels. If you enjoyed Lowco's "Arkham Knight" playthrough you should definitely read this one. It is also going to be turned into an animated movie soon.

- "Batman: Hush" written by Joeph Loeb, art by Jim Lee
    This is a personal favourite. Not only it is the introduction of my favourite Batman villain but also it has basically everything you could ask for. Almost every bigger Batman villain has an appearance.

- "Batman: Under the Hood" written by Judd Winick, art by Doug Mahnke,
    Another, famous story arc that has been adapted into a good animated movie ("Under the Red Hood"). It also tackles the question, why Batman does not kill.

- "Batman: Earth One" (Volume 1+2) written by Goeff Johns, art by Gary Frank
    The DC Multiverse allows it to have multiple versions of the well known characters. This graphic novel offers a twist on the Batman origin. The 3D animated series "Beware the Batman" also uses some elements that where introduced in this one.

- "Flashpoint" written by Goeff Johns, art by Andy Kubert
    Before the DC universe has been rebooted into the "New 52" this story arc spread over all titles. It's a Flash centric story and maybe one of the best story arcs I've ever read. It's been also adapted into the very good "Flashpoint Paradox" animated movie.

Other Comics / Graphic Novels:

- "Suiciders"
    (Post-apocalyptic / Bloodsport) by Lee Bermejo, published by Vertigo
    Suiciders takes place in a divided Los Angeles in the future that has been isolated from the rest of the US after it got hit by a giant earth quake. The both halfs consist of the high society "New Angeles", that has the "Suiciders" fights to the death as kind of entertainment, and the other half "Lost Angeles" where people fight for survival and try to get to New Angeles. Some blood and lowcoBlush.

- "The Witcher" (Fantasy / Horror) written by Paul Tobin, art by Joe Querio, published by Dark Horse Comics
    "House of Glass" and "Fox Children" are two 5 issue story arcs based on the video games by CD Project Red (which are based on the books by Andrzej Sapkowski) about 2 adventures of Geralt of Rivia. They are not necessarilly connected to either books or games but still nice to read.

- "The Dark Tower" (Horror / Fantasy / Post apocalyptic) based on the novels by Stephen King, published by MARVEL
    This is not only an adaptation but also adds a lot of lore to the "The Dark Tower" series by Stephen King. If you enjoyed the books or don't have the patience to read them, give this comic series a try. It is mostly rated for mature so be warned.

- "SAGA" (Sci-Fi / Fantasy) written by Brian K. Vaughan, art by Fiona Staples, published by Image Comics
    I read this book mostly because of the story but less because of the art style. It tells the story of a young family, consisting of two soldiers from different planets and races, that are currently at war in the universe, and their newborn. This family has no interest in the war anymore and tries to flee and raise the child at the same time. Since this book is for more mature readers be warned that it contains some lowcoBlush.

- "The Walking Dead" (Zambies / Horror) written by Robert Kirkman, art by Tony Moore, published by Image Comics
    Do I really need to introduce this to you? Common! Read it already, will ya!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  2. MORGsmash

MORGsmash Lurker