Looney Bin Laugh Track

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Clumsywise, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Clumsywise

Clumsywise Lurker

Howdy, Loonies.

Okay, okay... Okay? Okay.
    Here's the concept behind this one.
    Television Sitcoms, particularly older ones from the 1990s and earlier, had a laugh track -- a backing track of pre-recorded audience reactions (or sometimes a live studio audience) that signaled to the home audience how to react.

The Looney Bin Laugh Track is a stand-alone Windows application (and a Chrome Extension lower in the post) that attempts to serve a similar purpose by reading Twitch chat and playing reaction sounds based on what is being said in chat, informing the viewer how to feel at any given moment.

[​IMG]
    Click Here to Download the Zip File (~10.3MB)

It's a passive, viewer-directed chat bot (it doesn't interact with chat without user input) that plays sounds when certain keywords are entered into chat by viewers within a set time interval.
    It should be able to connect to any channel on Twitch IRC servers.

If a certain number of people use a particular emote or say the same thing, it runs in the background and plays, as the name implies, a "laugh track" of different sounds.
    It remembers who said what for a short time and doesn't count spam towards playing a sound.
    It is one username per keyword per interval.
    You can set what keywords the program should look for, other than the default.
    You can make it cheer whenever someone's name is mentioned. Or gasp when pizza is mentioned.
    Half the sounds are crowd reactions and half are Lowco2525 reactions because there aren't many good public domain sound effects.

Due to the fact that I don't know entirely what I'm doing and because I'm tinkering with C# IRC functionality, the Looney Bin Laugh Track was made in Unity 3D.
    Meaning that it is quite a bit heavier than I would have wanted for a program of this scope
    (Why does a compiled executable that is 13 MB need a data folder that is also 13 MB? Unity, why!?)
    Also, it's Windows only for now because I can't test whether it compiled correctly for Mac or Linux.

There is an actual chat panel you can use to send/receive messages to/from chat.
    Clicking the "Looney Bin Laugh Track" text in the upper-right corner of the program changes the input fields to a chat box.
    [​IMG]
    (Shhh, don't tell anyone but because I based some of the C# code off of another IRC program I made for other reasons,
    if you hold down shift while sending your message, it translates and sends your message in Morse Code.
    It also translates any Morse messages received from chat back into English.
    Don't actually do this because you will probably be timed out/banned from whatever channel you use it in.
    Most likely on the grounds that it is character spam or perhaps because it isn't English.
    But technically it is English. It just uses different characters than the Latin Alphabet to represent letters.
    But don't use it. Don't. Unless you really, really want to. But don't. Or do. But seriously. Don't.)

[​IMG]
    Click Here to Download the Zip File (~496KB)

I also made a Google Chrome Extension that does sort of the same thing. It's a lot lighter, but it doesn't work nearly as... robustly. One could say that it operates in an awkward fashion (or clumsywise).

Instead of connecting to IRC chat, it just reads the chat HTML <divs> and <spans> at set intervals. So, it's maybe 95%-ish accurate?
    It has some of the same features as the much larger stand-alone program: you can set keywords, intervals, and what sound to play.
    You can also turn it off because it will become incredibly annoying very quickly.

I haven't tested this one extensively because I wrote it on a flight from San Diego to San Francisco, which is only about an hour long. And there wasn't Wi-Fi.

To add the extension, go to chrome://extensions, drag and drop the extension's .crx file into the window, and approve the permissions.
    Its options menu should appear in the right of the address bar as an icon for any Twitch page.
    You can change keywords and intervals from the options in the pop-up from the icon.
    Remember to refresh any Twitch channels you already have open.

Enjoy.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  2. OldSchoolGentleman

OldSchoolGentleman Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The chrome extension worked fine, but I don't think I set up the application correctly. I can't clear what I entered out, so it seems to be broken (even after deleting everything and re-installing). Can you make a way to clear what you have entered out?

3. Aladdad1

Aladdad1 Lurker

i also couldn't get the app to work as well but the extension seems to work...this is pretty cool but when there is a Pls war its not..like OH GOD..... the spamm xD haha