New Pc upgrade/current spec, least the parts i'm playing on keeping

Discussion in 'PC Spec Talk' started by The2552, May 4, 2015.

1. The2552

The2552 Lurker

hey guys, so its that time, it's been 6 years since i did a new cpu and mobo, gfx is 2 years old
    AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor 3.20GHz
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti,
    Patriot Signature 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory x2 (i think)...so lazy to check but its 16gig of DDR3 -1600
    for the life of me i can not remember my mobo...asus something or other...6 years old
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
    Acer X233Hbid Black 23" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor
    &
    AOC 2270W
    current build idea is...

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/RpGqJx

please comment and suggest other ideas pcparkpicker is good for me to use.
    I want to try and keep it as cheap as I can...
    this will be for the long haul, at least 2 years. and will be used for streaming and gaming

Thanks
    The2552

Belovedof_CTHULHU likes this.
  2. CeeKaySmash

CeeKaySmash Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Think it depends how much you are going to stream. CPU-power is more important than the GPU-part then. And if you want a 8GB GPU, check out the R9 290X 8GB version. Can buy it here in Sweden for around the same price as two R9 290X 4GB. Don't need to run crossfire then.

3. chrisdash

chrisdash Lurker

Crossfire doesn't increase your GPU memory, so if you really need(??? :confused: for what?) 8GB then the 8GB+ cards are the only way to go. Personally, I wouldn't. You said "budget".

The XFX 290 Double Dissipation is ok to run as a single GPU in a well ventilated case if you don't mind a little noise. Crossfire two 290 cards and you're looking at up to 700 Watts of heat just for the graphics cards. You will not be able to get that hot air out of the case. Then the cards downclock because they are hitting the temperature ceiling. By the way, what kind of power supply do you have? The voltage fluctuactions of an old, overtasked or low quality PSU can hurt your voltage regulators on both your mainboard and gfx card. An EVGA G2 850 Watts is the lowest I would go, price-wise, for the Crossfire setup, but it is noisy.

In my opinion you would be better off with a single 290 DD card -- if it has to be that one, I admit the prices are competitive. You could then also get a different mainboard. Your 4690K could use some overclocking, so get a board for that. Or get a 4790K and enable Multi Core Enhancement in the UEFI -- whoopdidoop, 4.4GHz on all cores, just like that. Streaming stresses CPU, mostly, not so much GPU.

How old is that Barracuda disk? Have you checked S.M.A.R.T. values for it?

Otherwise I think you are good.
    Chris

4. CeeKaySmash

Good points from Chris. In that pricerange you're showing, I think I would have picked an i7 4790K CPU instead, and one R9 290 4GB GPU. Maybe 290X if you can find one with a good price.

5. The2552

The2552 Lurker

ok guys, so chris thats all great but you have to remember i have no idea what most of your saying means(sorry am a nub at hardware..its been awhile since i even looked into hardware), i'v never had more than 1 gpu, in saying that i would really like if u just editted that pcpartbuilder as i have no idea what i'm doing :( but i wanna try and future proof it, like i dont wanna have a year down the line need to upgrade a part...i know this is an old way of thinking but yeah i'm poor lol
    and my power supply is 1500w so no worry about power usage,

6. CeeKaySmash

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  7. The2552

The2552 Lurker

Hmm I like it Chris I been having a look at it seems as I wanna future proof the build a bit an i7 is the way forward, gpu looks good but i have no idea always stuck to nvida myself as my TI is old sadly amd are not as good anymore but seeing as my current CPU is 6 years old am happy with it ... But I 7 does seem like the way to go with streaming as well just for the multitasking and as for that gpu it does look good and if need be can always get a 2nd In a year or so if needed right lol I don't know lol

8. The2552

The2552 Lurker

Also wouldn't a single 8 Gig 290x be better in long run or am ahead of myself?

9. CeeKaySmash

If you have the money, sure, buy the 8GB version. Otherwise the 4GB should be fine for at least 2 years of gaming.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    The2552 likes this.
  10. I see no major issues here :) the 8GB GPU might be worth a look if there isnt much of a price bump. I like haing two GPUs as if one breaks your machine will still work (although some games get moody and need re-downloading) Also re-purposing your old parts as a streaming pc might be worth a look

11. The2552

The2552 Lurker

well its 100£ diffident for a single 8gb gpu but an extra 300 for a 2nd 4GB...will be have to be something i think about, and the idea of turning this pc into a streaming pc...yeah i have no idea how to do that lol maybe one day...

12. chrisdash

chrisdash Lurker

8GB of VRAM is way over the top for FullHD (1080p). Your screens are both 1080p. The 4GB card will be fine.

The2552 likes this.