What are you running?

Discussion in 'PC Spec Talk' started by Belovedof_CTHULHU, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Moffdawwwg

Moffdawwwg Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Nope! :D Granted mine is pretty old haha.

• AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core ~3.3GHz
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    • 16GB RAM
    • 2TB HDD
    • Razer BlackWidow Ultimate, DeathAdder Chroma & Kraken Pro 7.1
    Need to update the CPU and motherboard at some point, at the moment I can still run most games on high/ultra settings so I'll probably just wait and save myself the hassle :D. Still need to switch out my hard drive for an SSD as well!

2. Halios00

Halios00 Lurker

Ha! 3.3 six-core is still amazing man! I love my processor so far honestly. I wouldn't change it for the world. I changed my SLI now to just a regular video card and loving it. Let me ask you though Muffdawwwg, do you have problems with the 970 and it not registering all of it's memory?

3. Moffdawwwg

Moffdawwwg Administrator Staff Member Moderator

There's been a bunch of tests done on it compared to a 980 and apparently its such a small performance loss that you're unlikely to notice it. I've personally had 0 problems since I got this card and I was running SLi before (can't remember which cards I used to have). It's not that it doesn't register the memory as well, there's just a chunk of it assigned to run in a different way so while only the "main" chunk of memory is registered, you still have the full amount.

4. Halios00

Halios00 Lurker

Ahhhh that makes sense! It actually stopped me from buying a 970 at the moment but I am re-thinking of getting one. I want to get one to improve the quality of my gameplay and my stream. Maybe I could stream 1080p or even a strong 720p. Hoping to do so soon/

5. chrisdash

chrisdash Lurker

The 3.5GB issue was blown out of proportion a bit. It is mostly only a problem if you want to run 4K resolution. When running games in FullHD the driver will generally be able to keep GPU memory load below 3.5GB so the problem doesn't occur.
    Keep in mind SLI does not double your GPU memory, so if you plan to add a second GTX 970 later and increase the resolution, things might look a little different.

Belovedof_CTHULHU likes this.
  6. Halios00

Halios00 Lurker

True. True. I will probably just go with a nice GTX 980 or work towards a Titan and just be done with it for a good while haha

Belovedof_CTHULHU likes this.
  7. Yes it was. But compound it with the ROPs and TMUs both being advertised as better than delivered I would have been quite annoyed if I had bought a 970.
    980 TI might be worth a look or shave a few of the price of a 980 on release

8. Blackjack161

Blackjack161 Lurker

9. Halios00

Halios00 Lurker

Very nice Blackjack!

10. OldSchoolGentleman

OldSchoolGentleman Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Pretty basic rig for me. Got it almost exactly 4 years ago when the Sandy Bridge processors came onto the market.
    • Motherboard: MSI GD65 LGA1155
    • CPU: Intel i5 2500k not overclocked, 3.3Ghz
    • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio <- weird choice for a splurge since I don't OC...
    • Ram: 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz. I got 2x4GB but one stick didn't work and I never got around to RMAing it
    • GPU: Nvidia GTX 560 Ti 1GB
    • Storage: Seagate 500GB HDD
    • PSU: Corsair 750W
    • Case: Cooler Master HAF 922
    • Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech G500/Logitech K120
    • Monitors: Awful HP montior, not even 1080p lowcoCry
    To provide some perspective, this computer runs GTA V at 60fps on normal settings. That shows you how well optimized the game is.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  11. Jackarl

Jackarl Confused

Sandy Bridge has aged really well and is still going strong!

OldSchoolGentleman and chrisdash like this.